Standard Forward Mail
& Change of Address

Moving or Relocating

If you're moving, submit a permanent change-of-address request so your USPS® mail is properly rerouted to your new address.

If you're only relocating for a short time to visit your second home or do an extended stay with relatives, submit a temporary change-of-address request so you can receive your mail while you're away for 15 days up to 1 year.

Getting Started

Plan ahead. Although mail forwarding may begin within 3 business days of your submitted request, it's best to allow up to 2 weeks. Mail will be forwarded to your new address as it comes, piece by piece.

Choose to change your address in a few simple steps online or visit your local Post Office location.

What Mail Is Forwarded

  • First-Class mail and periodicals (newsletters and magazines) are forwarded for free.
  • Premium shipping services (Priority Mail®, Priority Mail Express®, First-Class Package®) are forwarded for free.
  • Media Mail® and USPS Retail Ground® are forwarded, but you must pay the cost for shipping from your local Post Office to your temporary address.
  • USPS Marketing Mail® is not forwarded.
  • Please note that your change-of-address order does not automatically update any state or personal records. You’re responsible for updating your Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), voter registration, and banking information.

Forwarding Mail Exceptions & Details (DMM 507.2.0)

How to Change Your Address Online

  1. Go to the Official USPS Change of Address® website.
  2. Select Permanent or Temporary.
  3. Pay the $1.10 identity verification fee.
  4. Complete the appropriate online form.
  5. USPS will email you a confirmation code. Use this code to modify or cancel your request.
  6. A welcome kit with coupons from USPS partners will arrive at your new address.
  7. Mail will be rerouted to your new address piece by piece.

Change Your Address

How to Change Your Address at the Post Office

  1. Visit your local Post Office location. Find a Post Office
  2. Request a free Mover's Guide packet.
  3. Fill out the PS Form 3575 found inside the packet.

Visit Change of Address FAQs

Change of Address Exceptions & Details (DMM 507.2.0)

Extended Mail Forwarding

Standard mail forwarding lasts 12 months. You can pay to extend mail forwarding for 6, 12, or 18 more months (18 months is the maximum).

To purchase Extended Mail Forwarding, you can add it when you first submit your change-of-address request or if you later edit your request. (USPS will also send you a reminder email when you have 1 month left in your mail forwarding.)

Important: You can’t cancel or request a refund for Extended Mail Forwarding.

For more information and pricing, read the Extended Mail Forwarding FAQs.

Note: When your mail forwarding period ends, USPS will return your mail to the sender for 6 months with a label that has your new address.

Premium Forwarding Services

In addition to regular mail forwarding, USPS offers paid Premium Forwarding Service® options for residential and business customers who would like more flexibility or control over when and where they receive mail.

Premium Forwarding Mail Services

Related Mail Services

See other ways to manage USPS mail and have peace of mind when no one is home to receive important documents or packages.

USPS Hold Mail Service

If you'll be away for 30 days or less, use USPS Hold Mail® service and your local Post Office will hold all your mail until you return. Your mail carrier will resume your regular mail delivery when you return or you can pick up your mail at the Post Office.

Schedule USPS Hold Mail Service

Stop or Forward Mail for the Deceased

Learn how to manage mail for loved ones who have passed. You can redirect their mail to another address and you can remove them from advertising lists.

Managing Mail for the Deceased